Wednesday, August 26, 2009

8.26.09

I haven't won a single significant hand of poker in about two and a half days. By significant I mean a pot of at least $200. I've won a number of smaller pots, but each time we have thrown in a pile of money I have come out holding the short end of the stick. These things are to be expected as they occur from time to time.

I believe it has to do with the law of large numbers, or some such concept. I think it means that in the short run any strange mathematical deviation from the normal percentages of things can and will happen. Sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is bad, but deviations from the norm happen every single day. These are regularly referred to as "streaks".

I'm somewhere in a bad streak right now. My only defense is to tighten up and wait for things to change. Even though I tighten up in my pre-flop decisions I think it is important to not tighten up too much in my post-flop play. Of course, you understand, this could all be a bunch of bullshit and I may have no idea at all about what I speak. That last sentence should tell you how bad I am running. I am now doubting my own babble.

I think it was Thomas Paine who wrote "These are the times that try men's souls". I would say that sums things up for me right now.

I can't even think of anything clever to write about.

I played some golf today. I played with my buddy Russ and another dude. It was a good time. We all hacked it around. The course is a rather new one in Jax. It's called Panther Creek. I have two words for it... GOAT RANCH. It's too bad too because it is a very difficult and good test of your game. However, they may have wanted to spend some money on the course this summer. I swear I do not think they did anything except water and mow. There are weeds everywhere. It is a shame.

They do have a beautiful sculpture of a panther. It is striking. It is large. The panther is probably fifteen feet long and ten feet tall. It looks lovely. I don't know what it is made of but I would guess it was expensive. Good move guys.

Good move on building a championship golf course and housing development just as the economy went bust. How could you have known? I guess you couldn't. Somehow gambling like that, on the economy and business, is not really gambling. It is investing. When I invest in the two cards I am holding it is not investing. It is gambling. That's bullshit. They made a bad play, and they got a bit unlucky. That's alright, just file chapter 11, or 14, or 21, or whatever bankruptcy plan you are going to use and walk the hell away.

On that note I will end with a quote from one of my favorite songs of all time. This is from the song "Wake Me Up Inside" by Evenescence....

Without a thought,
without a voice,
without a soul,
Don't let me die here,
there must be something more.
Bring me to Life

Wake me up,
bid my blood to run,
I can't wake up,
before I come undone,
save me.
Save me from the nothing I've become.

Bring me to Life....

Codsey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment