Wednesday, September 16, 2009

9.16.09

Five things I am thankful for:

1. Sleeping in
2. Gourmet latte
3. My ability to back step quickly and avoid perilous spots
4. Freedom
5. School for the kids to go to each day

I don't know what came first. As I write I am trying to review the past three days and figure out exactly what it is I am doing right. I must be doing something correct because I am winning again. The answer may be that this renewed positive attitude has freed my mind allowing my decisions to be more correct, more often. That would be absolutely beautiful if it were definitely the case.

If a positive attitude can really and truly improve your performance, then I have found the secret to poker, and lovemaking. At the poker table I have been like some sort of sixth sensed monster, laying down hands at the right time and picking off bluffs as though the opponent has his hand face up. In the bedroom the results are still mixed, but I was able to keep her awake the last time, so that is an improvement.

I should add that I did hit a pretty big hand today after making a truly awful play. I had the A6 of clubs, and my opponent had raised the pot to $20 after I had limped in for $5. Another person called his raise, and I decided to add my $15 to the pot. I normally hate this play because he probably has me in a very bad spot, and this goes against all of my rules for playing tight. The flop came 5-6-7, with one club. Hmmmmmm. The interesting thing is that I have already made the decision in my mind what I am going to do. I checked, the raiser bet $35, the other caller folded, and I moved all-in. The raiser only had $60 left and he immediately called and flipped over his pocket aces. Ooops.

See, I was hoping he had Ace-King, or maybe even less, like King-queen. Who am I kidding? I was gambling, and based on his past play, I liked my chances. I was wrong, until another 6 came on the turn giving me trip sixes.

I looked at him and said "Man, I just put a horrible beat on you, and I'm almost embarrassed to turn over my cards."

But, not really, cause I wanted that cash in the middle. So, I roll over my A-6 and scoop the pot. My opponent was unhappy, to say the least. I've been in his shoes too many times to count, and nothing I said was going to ease his mind. Now I see why people draw for that miracle card ALL of the time. It is quite an adrenaline rush when it hits.

Otherwise, I played well today, and I am pleased.

So, did the new positive attitude come because of the sudden success at the tables? Or did the success follow the change in attitude? I still have the rubber band on my wrist, and I'm still mutilating my wrist each time I catch myself thinking in a negative way. Now though, I'm snapping my wrist BEFORE the bad thought occurs, like right when something bad happens. After wincing in pain (sometimes I make it hurt a lot), I then talk myself down from the ledge and get back to playing the next hand.

I have no clue if it is helping, but why risk it?

Poker reminds me of a girl I knew in high school. You know the one I'm referring to. Remember that girl that was really cute, and really cool, and everything about her was just perfect? You do, don't you. Do you also remember that she knew just how wonderful she was and would use that knowledge to get you to do her certain favors?

She'd hang out with you, smiling, laughing, and joking around. She'd flip her hair and tilt her head. She'd see you smiling at her and would give you that smile back. You'd see her out somewhere and she'd talk to you for a bit and then convince you to give her a ride to another guy's house. You remember, right? That's poker.

Right now poker is smiling at me, and I love her. I know that bitch will turn, though.

SNAP! Ow! That was a big one.

Why risk it?

Codsey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment