Friday, June 12, 2009

Night Sweats

Last night I did something that I know will never work. And yet, forward I pushed. It went like this..

I had two cards that were meaningless. I was on the button (last to act), and when the flop came out everyone checked to me. Well, to me this means they don't have too much. So I bet. I think I bet $25 into a $35 pot or something. One person calls, and it is the woman on my immediate left, in the small blind. The turn card came a 10, putting 9, 10, J on the board. She bets out, but only $25.

I believe she may have just made a straight, but I'm not sure because there is a flush draw now possible (two hearts on the board) and her bet looks weak. So, I'm not convinced she has a straight, I was actually thinking she had one or possibly two pair. Since we were both deep-stacked I decided to try to represent whatever hand the river card made possible. If the board pairs I can represent a full house, and if another heart comes I can represent a flush, if another straight card comes I can represent that as well. I just didn't think she had the straight made. This play can only be used against an aware opponent. It will not work against someone who just wants to call. I thought this woman would buy what I was about to try and sell.

Well, another heart rolls off, and she bets another $25. Weak! Right? To me this bets scream "I have a hand, and I'm going to bet a little bit because I want a call, but I don't want to pay a lot for the showdown". Okay, with that read I just have to go for it. I mean, I played the hand like I thought I was ahead on the flop, behind on the turn (but with a draw), and now I'm going to act like I've just gotten incredibly lucky and have hit that flush. Darn, now she'll HAVE to fold. (famouse last words).

I raise $125. She laughs, says "Oooohhhh, now I see! Oh no!" And then she calls. It took about that much time too. She was never considering folding.

She has KQ for a straight. I have nothing, at all, not anything.

Wonderful.

What makes this worse is it occurred at 11:58 pm and the poker room closes at midnight. I hate making a play, and losing, and it having to be the last poker thing I think about until the next day.

I feel sick. I thought she'd fold. Another brilliant read on my part. That was not Apathy, that was suicide. I Need to play better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment