Saturday, June 13, 2009

Super Stack Series II

I played in another tournament today. I played quite well. I don't remember getting my money in bad. Well, except for the last hand. The money was already chopped up between four of us, and we played the tournament out for the Player of the month points.

I spiked an ace on the river to convince me to put the rest of my chips into the pot, thinking I had just sucked out on my opponent. Unfortunately, he had already made trip 3's and I was drawing dead. I am very happy with second place, but I believe the good finish had as much to do with luck as it did my playing good, solid, poker. I may be too hard on myself, but I was in at least four situations where the odds were within a 60-40 proposition, and I won them all. That, well, that is fortunate. Flip a coin four times and see how many times it comes up heads all four flips. It's difficult.

A part of me likes to believe that another, less informed player would not have laid down some of the hands that I got away from today. Also, other players may not have had the cajones to check-call with nothing on the flop, check-call again with nothing on the turn, and then lead bluff the river because I just KNOW he didn't have a strong hand. Of course, had that play been a mistake then I may very well be sitting here telling you how much of a donkey I am, like I did yesterday. This is a fickle game.

I did notice a certain breakthrough, of sorts, today. It seemed people were going out of their way to give me a hard time about things. They were doing it in a joking way, and I certainly joke with people all of the time, so I take these things quite well. They were really giving it to me about my sunglasses. Yes, I was wearing sunglasses today, even though they are cliche'.

These sunglasses were newly purchased while I was recently in Biloxi. I didn't buy them as a joke. In fact, a woman in the store helped me pick them out telling me the pair I had looked much better than another pair I was thinking of buying. So, what's a color blind, fashion challenged, middle aged man supposed to do? I bought the pair that she recommended, and apparently, she was in on the joke.

I have heard from my wife, my daughter, my son, my sister-in-law, her son, my daughter's friend (although she only just sort of agreed with my daughter), and now a bunch of people at the card room, just how lady-like my sunglasses appear. One woman, in the tournament, who is a regular player, and who I know well, but not really well, even called me a pussy at one point. Yes, you heard right. A pussy. I mean, she said it under her breath, but loud enough that I thought she said "sissy". I was corrected by the folks at the other end of the table who clearly heard what she said. The interesting thing is that everybody was laughing their asses off everytime someone gave me shit about my sunglasses!

It was all good though, because like I said before, I am sure I have made a smart-ass remark to each and every one of the folks at that table. I feel pretty good that they are comfortable enough around me to give me a well mannered hard time. Even the Floormen, and Floorwomen were getting in on the deal. Is Floorwoman a correct term? I have no idea. We're in the south, so I'm going to assume it's ok. This is not a hotbed of women's liberation.

I just remembered what the spark was that caused the great sunglass debacle. One of the players, right after I had won a hand by going all-in when I was incredibly short on chips, says to me "Hey, Eric, nice hand. I wanted to ask you something..."

His name is Paul, and he plays often, and he is a good guy.

"what's that buddy?" I said with a little smirk. Remember, I had just won a pot, and was feeling pretty good.

He looks at me, and with a straight, deadpan face, says "Does your wife know you stole her sunglasses to play in this thing?"

I guess I have to wear those glasses more often. A big hit they were.

I need to go to Las Vegas. I can't believe I'm not there. It's WSOP time, for the love of God!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete