Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Super Stack Series

Yesterday I played in a 30 man, $70 buy-in tournament that also is part of the "player of the month" contest at the local poker room here in Jacksonville. I ended up chopping 1st and 2nd with another player, and she was nice enough to give me the first place points for the month long contest. She said something about not competing for the POM, and I was happy to accept her generosity.

I played well in the tournament. I did get a bit lucky during one hand, further proving to myself that I'm just not cut out for tournament play. A young man, who plays often in the tournaments at this room, raised 4 times the blind from the under the gun position (one spot in front of the big blind). He is not a maniac, but he was short in chips. We were late in the tournament, and there was a lot of moving all-in. His raise looked weak to me, for whatever reason. At the time it all made perfect sense, but after another fantastic mis-read by myself, I push all-in, over the top of his raise. He ALMOST folded right then, and that would have been beautiful, since all I had was A-7 offsuit. Well, he finally calls, and he turns over an Ace-King. What took so long?

Of course, four diamonds end up hitting the board and my key card, the 7 of diamonds, makes me a winner. He was rather pissed off, and may have called me a donkey, but no matter. I think he has a body odor issue. He always wears a black shirt and black hat, and I think that is the only shirt he owns, and he never washes. Bye-bye. Hit the showers. If I had been thinking, and not so ecstatic after sucking out on him, I would have said just that. I'm sure people would have laughed because his stench is quite well known.

Following that hand I never put my money in behind again. Thankfully my hands held up and was able to chop. After the a 5% toke to the dealers I made a profit of $500, which is much needed since I've been running a little bad this week.

I played today in a 2-5 no limit cash game and won a few hundred. I'm not making many hands overall, and today's win could have been much better. The table was very active and the chips were flying. I feel good though, the cards are not coming, but I am playing very well. I'm staying above water by stealing pots and making plays.

I heard about a couple of new home games. One of them I was told to stay completely away from because it is impossible to get paid when you win. The other, I'm told, is must see tv. Maybe I can get an invite this week.

1 comment:

  1. Eric,
    Looks like you are on to a great start. I think you should post some of your other stories you posted on FB as well.

    Shay

    ReplyDelete