Friday, January 14, 2011

It's a C Filled World

It was back to Biloxi last week. I played exclusively in the cash games. I played mostly 2-5 NL but also a few hours of 1-2 NL. I stayed away from the 5-10 games. There is no max buy in on any of the no limit games in Biloxi. Because of that all of the games play bigger than the same blind levels in Jax. I was pretty sure I didn't have the scratch to sit down in the big NL game in Biloxi. 2-5 was going to be big enough for me and my bankroll.

The 2-5 was tighter than I expected. It's possible all of the fast players were in the 5-10, but there was still plenty of money in the 2-5 game. Most people had 500+ in their stacks.

I started off the week playing very tight. I was trying to make hands and trap opponents into big bets in later streets. I rarely had a hand, however. Plus, an interesting thing seemed to be developing. Everyone was playing tight. There were nearly no pre-flop raises.

Wow, poker was changing. I thought it maybe just a trend that Jacksonville was experiencing, but it seems to be at least a southeastern thing. Maybe it's a nationwide trend, or a trend rippling throughout the entire poker world. I don't know, and I don't care.

The tight players are learning to trap the speed demons. There are now more tight players than years past because they have survived. The speed demons don't have as many of the complete idiots as there is a larger percentage of people who, although being tight players, still understand the value of a hand.

But, with all of the tight players the games become terribly slow. Each pot is small, and hands are routinely checked around. Once that happens one has to either make hands or make moves. I was fortunate and started making hands and having it happen often enough to look like I was making moves. I was getting paid off.

In one particularly passive game I was raising in all of the pots I entered. We played bigger pots, and on my terms. Things were running smoothly and had more than doubled my money. This was good times. The drinks were free, and I'm sure there is a requirement of at least a C cup to be a cocktail waitress at the Beau. Life is good.

Three guys left in quick succession from the 1,2,and 3 seats. They had been short and had gone broke or almost broke one after the other. Three new gents sat down.

The new guys looked familiar. I had played with them all before. They were fast players. There was another new guy to my right. I picked up 10-J of clubs. There was one limper to me so I raised it up. Everyone folded and it came back around to the new guy, he raised it another Hundred. I folded quickly, without thought.

In a way it was good that happened. His re-raise made me slow down a bit. I tightened up and decided to sit back watch and see what was going to happen with this new batch of fellows. I expected fireworks.

I wish I had a story about a wild hand that was played. One where a pile of money was in the middle and someone was faced with calling all of their chips, but alas, no such tale.

These guys were on lockdown.

The game is certainly changing. I racked up and left the game for another.

There was a tale I had heard about a guy in the 5-10 game the night before who had lost 30k. The next day a guy pointed him out. The man he pointed out was the guy in the three seat of my game earlier that week. The story was he got drunk and was pissing it away thousands at a time. I have no idea if it's true or not. If so, he was playing vastly different than when I ran into him. I guess he loosened up.

Biloxi was fun. The ride was good over and back. Well, there was a tire change along the way, but it went forward without much incident. It was a good time. Of course, it is better to be home.

Since my trip I haven't won a nickel here in Jax, but it'll change, I think, I hope, I pray.

Poker- A hard Way to Make an Easy Livin'. I don't know who first said it, but sage advice they spoke. Maybe it was Doyle. I guess it doesn't matter much. I've got to go get the cards in the air.

Codsey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment