Friday, September 30, 2011

The Sounds are Music

I awoke with a lurch. You know, one of those eye openers that has you feeling like you must get up, and now! I don't know if I was dreaming, or just afraid I was missing something, but that initial feeling of MOVE made me feel even more tired. I was right where I was supposed to be, in my big bed with the sounds of the family getting ready to take on the day as background music.

I live for the sounds of the morning. A yell upstairs. I grumbled reply. The shower turning on. The espresso machine sounding off with its steamy yell for service. The toaster popping off. The drawers to the dresser closing gently. The coffee cup being placed on the nightstand. I'm not prepared for a day when those sounds will be lessened, or when some of them go missing altogether.

I turned the tv on and channeled in my favorite morning show. It was 7:30. I'll just lie here a while and listen to the noises, and listen to that hot looking Brzezinski woman speak nicely of the President.....

I awoke again. No jump this time. No noises, just silence, except for that Brzezinski talking about something, and then of course they must go to a commercial. It was now 8:30, and the family had gone to work and school. The coffee was there, and it was still very good, even lukewarm as it was.

I sat up and took a long sip of coffee. Man, she makes good coffee. I began to think about the past month and poker, and how much fun it all turned out to be. After week one I was beginning to think the rails had come off, but there is one constant in poker. Things will change.

The first week was horrendous as I went winless for five sessions. It was doubly troubling because I had just purchased a plane ticket to Vegas. When the day to leave came along I was still making the trip, but going to be under-bankrolled. In other words money was tight. I was going to Vegas, and money is tight. You do see the problem, yes?

I never had a losing day in Vegas. The city was alive for me once again. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I became quite jaded towards Las Vegas after some trying times a few years ago. Much of the issue was caused by yours truly, but hey, if they beat you up enough you may just stop coming. Thankfully that has all changed.

The rest of the month has been more of the same back in Jacksonville. Sit down, win some money, talk some shit, drink a beer, and head for the house. I like home more than I like vegas. There, I've said it.

What am I going to do when the kids are grown? Better than that, how am I going to keep M occupied after the kids have grown? Sounds like a lot of work, for me.

Saturday morning sounds are different than weekday sounds.

Out.





No comments:

Post a Comment