Wednesday, November 03, 2010

There is a God, and He is Good part 3

Our walk back to the ship was uneventful. The rest of that day was quite uneventful. I think we hung out by the pool. The poker room had to be closed while we were at port, in Nassau. I guess they didn't want anyone missing out on a chance to spend money in their fine town by spending time gambling. It makes sense, I suppose. Maybe the cruise ships shouldn't stop here at all. I don't much care for Nassau.

The pool deck on The Monarch was another story completely. Although, there are a couple of things I did notice. Americans are a large people, and the modern swimsuit does not cover enough skin.

It was a beautiful day, and we sat by the pool for a couple of hours before we went to dinner. At dinner I had a steak. After a day of walking through the masses, almost getting involved in a shootout, and seeing a half naked woman, I needed protein. We made a mistake that night, however. Our waiter straightened us out though.

He immediately brought us our menus, and wanted to immediately take our order. Of course, in an attempt to avoid all decisions until absolutely necessary, I needed to review the menu. Our waiter left and didn't come near us for about twenty minutes. Ok, message received.

He was busy and was squeezing us in. I don't even think we were seated where we were supposed to be. They assign seats, and approximate dinner times. It is probably necessary. Since we were on the low end of the pay spectrum we at at 5:45, or were supposed to as close to that time as we could. We paid attention to it, for the most part.

The poker that night was not good, at least not for me. I barely won a hand and lost all that I had won the night before plus a fair amount. I never completed a draw, never flopped a monster, never had a good hand hold up. My buddy, Hinderance, was in full bloom and sticking the hot pokers in my jaw again. I am an idiot. Why did I not take better care of my teeth?

I quit the game a loser that night. I went to sleep thinking about the bills that were due once we got back to Jacksonville. It was a fitful night. I love having M watch me play cards. It makes me play better, I believe. I hate it when she is there for the bad nights. She doesn't seem to show that it bothers her, but it must. I often find doubt in all of this.

Of course, there is always another hand.

Codsey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment