Friday, February 26, 2010

One Club Short

I'm playing in a hefty poker tournament this afternoon. It's a $225 buy-in with two starting days and the final on Sunday. I'd like to go deep in this thing and make the final table. Not that I don't always want to do that, but I especially feel it today.

Lately I have been winning a little bit in the cash games. I traveled to Daytona to play poker once this week. They're poker room is nice, and it feels a bit more like a vegas style poker room. We all won down there and the biggest pot of the night, that I was involved in, was won by my good friend.

He had a pair and an open ended straight draw. I thought that was a possibility when he went all in for $160 more. The pot was going to be $500 if I called. At them moment it was laying me a slight, bit better than 2 to 1. I had the nut flush draw, a backdoor straight draw, and two over cards to the board. I liked my hand.

If I had been wrong about what he might have, and he instead had a set, or flopped the straight, then I probably still had at least nine outs noting the backdoor straight draw I possessed.

I called the $160. I missed on the turn and river and lost a $500 pot. Damn. That's how I play poker against my friends, though. The poker players understand it. The others look for another table.

One good card and I win $700 for the night instead of $200. Maybe. Prior events definitely affect future actions. I had been playing rather tight, waiting for hands, and getting none to play. I had been on a slow drip as my stack dwindled for probably the past two hours. These are times that try man's souls.

After losing that big pot against my buddy I shifted everything back into high gear. I made some money back and still profited on the evening. Still, how about one club, just one club and I scoop a huge one. Oh well.

Codsey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment